Tuesday, October 2, 2012

Old Friends

"look", me and Trix, in "our" field
I'm finding it hard to watch my 2 old Open dogs grow old... at 14 and 15, Lill and Trix are beyond "old and still work", they sleep most of the day, and seeing them not able to do what they once loved is heartbreaking. Seeing them not even want to, is even more heartbreaking. 

We spent many hours out in the field, many hours doing chores, loading sheep for sale, and many more on the road. They were both special girls, Lill for taking me to Wales to compete in the world sheepdog trial, and Trix, for being her tough self, moving anything, and I mean anything, I asked her to. 

Lill puts on a "happy face"
I treasure our time together, our journeys, adventures, from getting stuck on the way home from Soldier Hollow, UT, in the middle of the night and needing a tow, (yes, we were invited to that prestigious trial) to our time setting stock at small local trials. These girls gave their heart in everything they did. I just hope I have it in me, to be with them when they need me, which will be all too soon I'm afraid. 
Trix, always serious

So we remember the "old days" and enjoy the time we have together now. They are awesome girls! They taught me a lot, about sheepherding, and now they're teaching me about grace, and patience. Growing old, it seems, is not something dogs are really that aware of, they live in the moment, accepting what life gives them. They enjoy life, and when they aren't enjoying it in a waking moment, they sleep, and enjoy their dreams. So even now, they are teaching me about Life. Luv u Lill and Trix! xx



No comments:

Post a Comment